Monday, June 15, 2015

It cleans not your soul

My favorite bit of "fine print" I've ever seen was in a commercial several years ago for Orbit gum that involved Snoop Dogg going to Hell.  After cleaning his mouth with Orbit, he went to Heaven.  The fine print said,

Dramatization.  Orbit gum will not get you into Heaven.
Clearly, someone at the advertising agency either had a sense of humor, was very pious, or was superstitious.  I can imagine some designer saying, "I don't want to be responsible before God for that one person who thought Orbit was his ticket to Heaven!"

Most fine print is designed to limit legal liability.  There is no legal liability here, unless someone was afraid of King Hamlet's ghost suing for vengeance.

I suppose it would be too much to ask for the fine print to say, "Dramatization.  Only Jesus Christ will get you into Heaven."  At least we know that Orbit gum is not the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment